You’re probably keeping more documents than you need…
Documents to Keep
These documents should be kept in a secure location such as a fireproof box or safe in your home.
- Birth, marriage, and death certificates
- Most recent insurance and investment documents
- Retirement plan statements
- Will, Trust and POA documents
Documents to Shred
When shredding documents, make sure all personal information is properly shredded and cannot be easily put back together.
- Account statements, bills and pay stubs that are over a year old
- Expired credit and debit cards, driver’s licenses, and passports
- Receipts not needed for warranties or tax purposes
- Tax documents from more than 7 years ago